More Evidence For Evolution: Baboons Practicing Vowels

baboons2One thing that has puzzled Scientists since the discovery of the only true explanation of human origins, Evolution, is the question of human language. After all, if certain apes share 98-99% of DNA with humans, it seems odd that the remaining 1% accounts for the enormous difference between apes and humans, including human language. Scientists have described it as “one of the hardest problems of science.” Why can’t apes talk? Well, as it turns out, they CAN. We just haven’t been listening.

As a recent AP story discusses, a group of researchers have published a study (reminder, “study” = undeniable truth until another study denies the truth of the first study, but then that new one is undeniable) revealing that baboons create sounds to communicate, and those sounds sound an awful lot like human vowels. Their conclusion after realizing this and doing some very heavy Science-thinking, is that the origins of human speech trace back 25 million years. Because Science.

These graphs show evidence that evolution is true.
These graphs show evidence that evolution is true.

The AP story tells us: “The authors, led by Dr. Louis-Jean Boe of Grenoble Alpes University, studied the acoustics of 1,335 baboon sounds and the animals’ tongue anatomy. They cast doubt on theories that language developed only after the appearance of humanoids…research suggests that the human vocal system developed from abilities already present in ancestors such as the Guinea baboon.” So, there it is right there, in the acoustics of baboons. Though their acoustics may sound loud, shrill, incoherent, unlike any language ever, still, this research is showing that baboons are obviously trying to practice their vowels: “A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y”.

Further evidence, the AP reports, is that researchers found similar muscles in the tongues of these baboons compared to those muscles that are in human tongues, “which are key to our ability to make vowel sounds.” We assume then that parrots also have similar tongue muscles since they also can make such vowel sounds. In fact, parrots can actually say entire words and phrases. Are they…apes too? Do we come from a parrot-ape ancestry? And, why can’t the baboons say whole words or phrases like the parrot if they share so much tongue anatomy with us? I am sure researchers are working on this. In any case, when these Scientists were reminded that vowel sounds are actually made with the breath and have very little to do with the muscles of the tongue, they dismissed the question with a very consonant “Pfft!”

However, the REAL nitty-gritty Scientific research to confirm the 25 million year old origin of human language thus proving Evolution true and Christianity false was done by Professor Scott Moisik of the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in the Netherlands. The AP story details his pain-staking Scientific and documented research: “listening to primates in zoos and online animal videos.” The online animal video research was for us, the clincher. Just undeniable evidence that Science has come up with, unreachable to the average person wasting time watching online animal videos for “fun” or “entertainment”. Moisik uses that time wisely, doing Science.

AP obtained by email confirmation of Moisik’s scientific work, as he wrote to them in an email: “When I hear a cat on YouTube produce a vocalization…or a dog that gets pretty-darned close in imitating ‘I love you’ … I am led to believe that ‘speech precursors’ go back further than 25 million years ago.”

We are too, Professor. We are too.

Please share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s